The application procedure consists of three steps:
- Create an EU Login account or login with an existing one
- Complete and submit the application form along with your supporting documents
- If successful, you will be invited to check the openings published on VBB portal and apply for a chosen traineeship post.
Step 1: Create an EU Login or connect with an existing account
Register on European Commission Authentication Service (EU Login) to begin your application.
If you are a new user
- create an account
- fill in the sign-up form
- click 'submit'
- check your email account (including your spam folder) for confirmation
- in the email, follow the link to 'create your password'
- choose your password and submit it
- click 'proceed' to the application form
- use either the email or your ECAS username to login afterwards. Candidates for EC traineeships cannot login using electronic IDs.
Issues? Check 'Help for external users'.
Step 2: Complete and submit the application form
a) Go to your candidate account, click on Send an application and choose the traineeship type to access the application form. Fill in the form section by section or jump from one section to another using the menu on the left-hand side of the page. Read and follow carefully the instructions provided for each section.
You do not have to fill in everything in a single session. Save your entries and log back in at any time to continue and submit your application. You can preview your application form at any time, before or after submitting it.
You cannot make changes to the application once it has been submitted.
Log in and complete each section of the application form following carefully the instructions provided.
You do not have to fill in the entire form in a single session. You can save your entries and log in later to make changes and submit your application using your username and password. You can also preview your application form in a printer-friendly pdf format at any time during the application period.
b) Upload your supporting documents.
You must attach the following supporting documents to your application form:
- Table of contents showing the list of documents in the PDF, point by point.
- A copy of your:
- valid ID card or passport
- university qualifications of studies completed before the deadline for applications
- Proof of
- university exchange programmes abroad, participation in EU or international programmes, seminars or workshops
- all declared language skills (other than mother tongue/s)
- all declared work experience
Please ensure that you upload all the justification documents to support every item declared on your application form, before submitting it. The pre-selection committee will reject your application if you do not provide adequate evidence of your declared studies, language knowledge, experience and other information stated on the form. Document only the items you have declared.
It is highly recommended to prepare your supporting documents well in advance to avoid missing the deadline. No additional documents or justifications will be admitted after the reception of the application.
Allow up to 3 working days for a response if you require (technical) assistance.
c) Once your application is submitted, you will need to wait for the results of its evaluation. You will be informed about the results via e-mail. In case of acceptance, you will be invited to apply to available traineeship positions.
Have you already submitted your application? Wait for the result of the evaluation phase! We will send the results via e-mail and publish them in your account. Make sure you check your account regularly.
If successful, we will invite you to apply to available traineeship positions.
Step 3: Apply for up to 3 traineeship posts in VBB
You will receive instructions to connect to Virtual Blue Book portal where Commission services and agencies propose various traineeship positions. The number of proposed positions matches the number of trainees per session. Carefully read the job description and the details of the post. You may mark as many positions as you like as favourites.
Candidates may apply for up to three posts. Applications for traineeship positions in VBB will be allowed for one week. Post openings will be unpublished as soon as the maximum number of applicants has been reached or after one week.
Please do not wait until the very last few days for applying.
Once there are enough applications registered for a specific post, the position will disappear from the list.